Monday 29 June 2009

Never Underestimate the Power of Twits


After attending a workshop at the WiRE Conference back in April I realised that the need to have a 'virtual' presence in the online community was to become increasingly necessary as time went by.


Not everyone shares this view and of course, why would they? Unless your business has first hand experience of the powers of Twitter you have neither reason to believe that it is a neccessity in the modern business world nor a sense of how it can be beneficial whatever your line of business.


My Twitter name is @salt_solutions and I use the site for a wide range of reasons. I use it to access information regarding the latest happenings in my industry sector, find out about the diverse range of businesses and charities that exist in my area and for laughs. There are plenty of kind and slightly wacky people who can make you smile just at the right moment.


Also, as a homeworker, it can be comforting to know that other small businesses are experiencing similar issues and problems as those encountered by myself from time to time.


So where is the evidence? Well, since joining Twitter in April I have been fortunate to have featured in The Sunday Times Business Section; http://tiny.cc/zX2qaI have appeared in The Shropshire Star in their 'TwitterTalk' column; http://tiny.cc/0zPIs and on Thursday of this week I will be appearing on local BBC Radio Shropshire to discuss a project that I am working on outside of my core business which is aimed at assisting those who wish to improve their public speaking skills.


All of the above have come about via Twitter. Each of them without any 'cold calling' on my part. None of them requiring me to leave the safety and comfort of my home office. Not a single penny has been spent by my business in achieving any of this. But every single item has helped me to raise the profile of my business.


Naturally Twitter is not the only way to grow your business, there are still the traditional methods that are key in marketing, branding and profiling, not to mention winning business. But Twitter works in addition to the usual methods that, whilst effective, are more expensive require more effort and involve 'getting out and about'.


All of which are fantastic and necessary but it just serves to demonstrate that 140 characters and a bit of time can add real value to your business.


But even in traditional marketing methods Twitter comes into it's own. I have been to several meetings, workshops and seminars where I have met people who I follow on Twitter. This provides a real ice-breaker and promotes a sense of 'community' amongst those who would otherwise be complete strangers. It's like a virtual 'foot in the door'.


Don't get me wrong. Twitter is a two way street, (or should I say two way tweet? Sorry) and I have, in my own small way, helped to support, raise profile and offer encouragement and advice to other Twitter users. You can't just sit back and let it all happen to you, you have to make it happen for others too but hey, isn't that what life is supposed to be about anyway? You only get out what you put in (true of most things in life) and quite right too.


I would like to thank the following people (amongst others) for helping Salt Solutions to realise the power of a 'virtual world';
@enterprise_nation
@jiminthemorning
@theengagingbrand
@wire
@leswalton
@davidRwike
@piginthepoke
@intheshed
@chrisiles1
@whizlizweb
@bestofoswestry

Check them out on Twitter and take a look at the people they follow. Common ground spreads far and wide.

See if Twitter can work for your business too. It costs nothing but a little time and, as they say... nothing ventured.


No comments:

Post a Comment